Enhancing families by providing exceptional women’s healthcare in a personalized, compassionate atmosphere.
- Empathy and Compassion
- Honesty and Integrity
- Personal Accountability and Hard Work
- Engaged, Supportive Culture
DEPARTMENT: Clinical Support Staff
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Reports to the Director of Operations
General Job Description
This position supports providers and clinical support staff in the delivery of high-quality patient care services within established guidelines, policies, procedures and protocols.
Predominantly, the medical assistant will greet and room patients, take vitals, assist in updating the medical record, and provide administrative support to the providers and nursing in terms of documentation, and tracking lab results.
This job description has excluded the marginal functions of this position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee in this position. Employees will be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform job-related duties as requested by their supervisor.
Major Duties & Responsibilities
- Greets & rooms patients: Takes/records accurate vitals, height & weight; entering them into Epic EMR.
- Reviews and updates allergies, medications, preferred pharmacy, and related fields in the medical record.
- Responsible for constantly monitoring patient schedules to make sure patients are scheduled for the proper length of time as well as to determine if additional records, screens, or labs are required before the patient’s visit.
- Takes and receives specimens and perform tests as ordered by the provider.
- Reports and documents normal lab results to patients after approval of the results by the supervising physician.
- Provides support to providers by anticipating needs, effectively communicating, and assisting with procedures (Colposcopy and/or LEEPS)
- Prepares the exam rooms and regularly stocks supplies.
- Communicates openly and effectively with team members.
- Maintains awareness of physician needs and be flexible in meeting them.
- Attends Clinical Support huddles. (Works together with other roomers, nursing staff & Director of Operations to develop solutions for clinic needs.)
Minor Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in responding to patient calls, when appropriate.
- May administer vaccinations directed by the physician & properly document into Epic EMR.
- May assist in the laboratory when needed and properly trained.
- May assist nursing staff with scheduling patient appointments with specialists and follows up on outstanding referrals, including obtaining reports.
- Other duties which may be assigned on an as needed basis.
MA does not participate in any patient education until properly trained and should refer all requests related to patient care to the responsible physician or nursing staff.
Qualifications for this Position
- Minimum two years of MA experience. OB/GYN experience preferred
- CPR Certified preferred
- Consistently displays professionalism in appearance and all aspects of job performance.
- Develops and maintains professional relationships with patients, visitors, physicians and staff and is consistently courteous and responsive.
- Communicates both written and orally in a clear and professional manner.
- Actively listens with empathy prior to providing advice or options.
- Provides accurate and complete information to ensure staff are well informed.
- Gives and receives constructive feedback and uses feedback to improve performance.
- Independently resolves interpersonal conflicts in a professional manner, using the chain of command for assistance when needed.
- Maintains confidentiality of all patient information.
- Completes written documents (i.e. incident report) as directed and per policy.
- Uses computer system appropriately as needed for work related information, communication and duties.
- Conducts self in a professional manner when interacting with patients, visitors, physicians, & staff.
- Interacts with physicians and staff in a spirit of teamwork and trust.
- Demonstrates respect for each member of the team and supports each member to be successful.
- Promotes and supports teamwork throughout the Practice and consistently focuses on team effectiveness and team success.
- Participates in the ongoing assessment of systems and processes as well as work redesign to improve performance throughout the Practice.
- Reacts calmly and effectively in emergency or stressful situations.
- Acts as a resource in mentoring and supporting new staff and co-workers.
Typical Physical Demands
Position may require prolonged sitting, standing, some bending, stooping, stretching and lifting. Employee must have a normal range of hearing and eyesight to record, prepare, and communicate appropriate reports. Position requires significant time looking at the computer screen, which may result in some eye strain.
- Requires full range of body motion including manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination.
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer terminal and keyboard, telephone, copier, fax, dictating machines and other office equipment as necessary.
- Requires sitting for extended periods of time as well as occasional standing and walking.
- Requires stooping, bending and/or stretching for files and supplies.
- Occasional lifting of files or paper weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Requires corrected vision, no color blindness and hearing to normal range.
General Knowledge and Skills
- General knowledge of medical office procedures and medical records filing systems.
- General knowledge of medical terminology.
- Computer skills to support appointment scheduling and registration of patients.
- Ability to read, understand and follow oral and written instruction.
- The ability to learn and successfully utilize new technology quickly including the Epic electronic medical records system, clinic telephone system, fax machine, and other computer programs or office technology necessary for delivering patient care
- The ability to accurately document patient care using the Epic electronic medical records system following all applicable guidelines for documentation.
- The understanding of HIPAA regulations and ability to work while maintaining confidentiality and privacy in accordance with governing HIPAA regulations.
- CMA Degree or certificate, required.
- High school graduate or its equivalent.
- General computer and word processing experience required.
Billings OB-GYN Associates is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate due to race, creed, color, disability, national origin, sex or age
Submit resumes and cover letters to:Billings OB-GYN Associates
1611 Zimmerman Trail
Billings, MT 59102